January 10, 2010

Homeowner lesson: remove hoses in the fall

There will be many lessons learned as a new homeowner. Newest lesson learned: remove hoses from spigots in the fall.

This is common knowledge, something I've even heard before. But it's hard to remember things that you don't readily need to know. So as Louisville plunged into a bone-chillingly cold spell, my hose was still attached. Only when we were preparing for a major snowstorm (and for us that means 3 inches) and I was doing online research did I rediscover this useful tip.

For other novices like me, hoses connected to spigots may cause interior water lines to freeze and burst. It's best to remove hoses in the fall before the chilly winter temperatures hit.

But since I didn't do this, last Wednesday night with temperatures maxing out at 15 I went to remove my hose by the back door so my pipes wouldn't burst. A half-hearted twist yielded no movement; a full-hearted twist still yielded no more movement. Nor did the defrosting of the pipe with a towel wrapped in scalding hot water, WD-40 or the challellock pliers.

Daddy offered several help tips over the course of 4 phone calls, but still the hose stayed fused to the spigot.

The next morning I tried again to get the hose off with no luck. It was then I discovered the secret weapon: titanium loppers.



After all, a hose is a lot cheaper to repair than a broken pipe.

2 comments:

  1. Eek! My hose is still attached! I will see what I can do about it this evening.

    Did you learn any other useful tips in your winterizing research? My dad helpfully turned the faucets on to a light drizzle last week...please tell me this is not useful and I can turn them off now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's also better than scraping your knuckles against the brick... in the freezing cold.

    ReplyDelete